fixating USB Storage

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Wed Feb 29 14:55:39 UTC 2012

On Wed, 29 Feb 2012, Robert Huff wrote:

> Polytropon writes:
>
>>  Label the drives and use labels instead of device names.
>>
>>  Get some inspiration from Warren's excellent article here:
>>  http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/disksetup.html
>
> 	Good piece, but it doesn't explicitly cover one case and "man"
> provides no example.
> 	I have a disk - ad1 - with a partition - p2 - that was
> (obviously) created by gpart ... but no label was attached.
> 	Can I add a label to that partition later?  "man gpart" only
> shows a label being added when the partition is created,

(untested)
# gpart modify -i 2 -l mylabel ada0

There's also http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/labels.html ,
which talks about filesystem labels.  UFS labels can be added later with
tunefs(8).  I really need to do a combined article that covers all the
different types of labels.  It's on the list.