request a quote

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Wed Feb 29 11:42:17 UTC 2012

On 29/02/2012 11:03, Damien Fleuriot wrote:
> Having worked in a banking environment in the past, I can tell that high
> profile companies shun open source software UNLESS they can get a
> support contract.
>
> That's the reason Red Hat Enterprise Linux and Suse Linux Enterprise
> Server are successful, not only do they provide the software, but they
> also sell the support contract and guarantees that go with it.
>
> Such a business model would imo do wonders to promote FreeBSD as a
> professional OS.

Like I said though -- the problem is not with having such a business,
but with establishing the business.  Even a company like iXSystems that
has been active in this area for more than 10 years has not managed to
grow into a company with a visible global presence.

It is also the case that many large concerns simply will not deal with
small companies: unless your balance-sheet and turnover are "big enough"
you just don't get a look in on any contracts that may be available.
(Yes, this is a short-sighted approach, but you can appreciate the
reasoning behind it: small companies are much riskier propositions, and
do tend to go bust much more easily.)

If there's anybody out there that knows how to do this -- take an idea
and turn it into a working business -- but doesn't have the right idea
yet: look over here!

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                  Flat 3