Simple question about pkg_add ...

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Tue Feb 28 16:28:10 UTC 2012

On Wed, 29 Feb 2012 01:52:13 +1030, David Walker wrote:
> Hey.
>
> I believe I have a pcmcia card that requires upgt firmware.
> From upgt(4) ...
>
>      This driver requires the upgtfw firmware to be installed before it will
>      work.  The firmware files are not publicly available.  A package of the
>      firmware which can be installed via pkg_add(1) is available:
>
> 	   http://weongyo.org/project/upgt/upgt-firmware-2.13.1.0.tar.gz
>
> pkg_add http://weongyo.org/project/upgt/upgt-firmware-2.13.1.0.tar.gz
> Fetching http://weongyo.org/project/upgt/upgt-firmware-2.13.1.0.tar.gz... Done.
> pkg_add: unable to open table of contents file '+CONTENTS' - not a package?

Did you have a look at what's inside the .tar.gz file?
A directory upgt-firmware-2.13.1.0 with the following
files: Makefile, distinfo, pkg-descr, and pkg-plist.

Obviously, that's not a binary package for pkg_add use.
It's a port.

Extract the file and use it with the port infrastructure
(i. e. "make install").

Seems that the instruction in "man 4 upgt" is just missing
the proper terminology...

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany