Email issues, relay failure

Bender, Chris chris_bender at cellularatsea.com
Sat Feb 25 22:30:06 UTC 2012

Hi Brent,
Thanks for that, I am still digesting it.

tools2# uname -a
FreeBSD tools2 8.2-RELEASE-p2 FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE-p2 #

So I put a 0 in the first two octets of the ip address below, but  that
IP address is A.
I am not sure what that means. I was horsing around and tried to start
sendmail
On X then I tried to send an email from A. I have no  idea what all that
means.

Here is netstat results:
netstat: kvm not available: /dev/mem: No such file or directory
tcp4       0      0 tools2.smtp            0.0.81.10.33679     SYN_RCVD
tcp4       0      0 tools2.smtp            *.*                    LISTEN

What is non $mail_owner privileges or how to determine that?

tools2# postconf -d | grep mail_version
mail_version = 2.7.0
milter_macro_v = $mail_name $mail_version

I am still not sure about the non mail owner issue yet, but I would
think because this has run in the past that it wouldn't have changed.
And how do I run smtp as a non mail user when I am root?

Hopfully we are getting somewhere.....

Thanks