Email issues, relay failure

Bender, Chris chris_bender at cellularatsea.com
Fri Feb 24 22:09:30 UTC 2012

Hi, I am responsible for a system I know little about.

Sendmail all of a sudden stopped working...the sendmial is supposed to
send to another machine.

The senmail locally looks to deliver email to a que and the que looks to
forward to another machine.

However this looks to break.....Can somebody help me diagnose and
repair.

It may be the remote machine never gets the email and thusly never
delivers the email.

Here is local machine response to my sending the following command....

echo "test email from ccl `date` " | mailx -s "test email from ccl
`date` " c.b at cell.com

The que message show the following..

Running /var/spool/mqueue/q1OKcmpH017170 (sequence 1 of 20)

<c.b at cell.com>... Connecting to tools.wms.cellularatsea.com. via
relay...

<c.b at cell.com>... Deferred: Connection timed out with
tools.wms.cell.com.

I can ping this machine via

ping tools

Is there supposed to be some type of handler on tools to accept
messages. How would I know if it were postfix or sendmail?

Is this possible to be on remote machine.

CB

Thanks