phpMyAdmin

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Fri Feb 24 18:25:00 UTC 2012

On 24/02/2012 17:57, alexus wrote:
> I can't install phpMyAdmin on my FreeBSD-9.0
>
> wx3# pkg_add -r phpMyAdmin
> Fetching ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/amd64/packages-9.0-release/Latest/phpMyAdmin.tbz...
> Done.
> Error: Unable to get
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/amd64/packages-9.0-release/All/pdflib-7.0.4.tbz:
> File unavailable (e.g., file not found, no access)
> Fetching ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/amd64/packages-9.0-release/All/pecl-pdflib-2.1.8.tbz...
> Done.
> pkg_add: could not find package pdflib-7.0.4 !
> pkg_add: pkg_add of dependency 'pecl-pdflib-2.1.8' failed!
> wx3#

That's because print/pdflib has this statement in the port:

RESTRICTED=     many odd restrictions on usage and distribution

which means packages for that port may not be available.

Two options I can suggest:

  i) Install print/pdflib from ports -- everything else can come from
     packages, but pdflib is just painful and the licensing forces you
     to build from source.

 ii) Install phpmyadmin from ports, changing the options to turn off
     usage of pdflib.  You won't be able to export stuff like DB schema
     to PDF files, but the rest of phpmyadmin's functionality will be
     there.  Note: as phpmyadmin is pure PHP code, installing the port
     is just a matter of copying the files into place: hardly any
     difference to installing via package.

Why can't pdflib just use a standard opensource license that eveyone
knows how to deal with?

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                  Flat 3