Converting C++ to C

Julian H. Stacey jhs at berklix.com
Fri Feb 24 12:07:38 UTC 2012

perryh at pluto.rain.com wrote:
> Some early implementations of C++ operated as preprocessors
> that emitted C code.  Is there any current tool that will do
> that?  I didn't recognize any such option in the g++ manpage,
> although I suppose it's possible that one of the -fdump-tree-
> options would come close enough.
>
> Reason:  I want to make what I think would be a fairly minor
> change to a small (1100-line) C++ program, but I don't know C++
> -- only C -- and I don't understand the program well enough
> to mess with it.  I suspect I would be able to figure out an
> equivalent C program.
>
> In case it matters, I'm using FreeBSD 8.1.

One of the lists recently (maybe 2/3 weeks ago) carried a thread
listing many C compilers past & present.  It started by discussing
Clang V. GCC I can't remember which list, I don't think it was
questions@ maybe hackers@ or current at .

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultants Munich http://berklix.com
 Reply below not above, cumulative like a play script, & indent with "> ".