How much space do I need on "/" for a 7.4 to 8 stable upgrade?

Joe Moore joe.moore at holidaycompanies.com
Wed Feb 22 18:21:16 UTC 2012

From: Adam Vande More [mailto:amvandemore at gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 22, 2012 12:16 PM
To: Joe Moore
Cc: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: How much space do I need on "/" for a 7.4 to 8 stable upgrade?

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 11:47 AM, Joe Moore <joe.moore at holidaycompanies.com> wrote:

I have 65MB of free space on "/". Is that going to be enough? I've already moved tftpboot to /usr, cleaned out /root, /boot/kernel.old, and /tmp.

What else could I clean out if I need more space? I'm thinking some executables in /rescue. "ls -l"  shows most of them being  4MB each but that can't be right.

I don't know the specific numbers of what you'll need but you can probably delete the *.symbol files(they aren't needed by default).  i386 also produces smaller files/mem imprint than most equivalent amd64 bins.

--
Adam Vande More

Thanks Adam.

I should have mentioned that I am running 32 bit i386.

				.jgm