CPAN hanging on ExtUtils::MakeMaker even if installed

Alejandro Imass ait at p2ee.org
Wed Feb 22 15:54:14 UTC 2012

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 7:34 PM, Jaime Kikpole <jkikpole at cairodurham.org> wrote:
> I'm attempting to upgrade Request Tracker manually.  (I know that
> there is a port, but I'd like to preserve my data, thus I'm doing this
> "the old fashioned way."  :) )
>
> When I run the "make fixdeps" step described in the directions, it
> attempts to load ExtUtil::MakeMaker from CPAN -- even though its
> already installed.  This wouldn't be so bad, but it actually hangs and
> uses 100% of CPU time (according to "top") like its in an infinite
> loop.  This is the output just before it hangs:

Your post makes me very happy to know I wasn't crazy:

http://www.perlmonks.org/?node_id=918414

This is a pain in the ass and I don't know if it's a FBSD CPAN problem
or a CPAN dependency problem but it does happen, and it's really
annoying. I don't have a fix but a workaround. It will always hang on
the same test, so just ^C and "look" into the module. remove the test
and go back to the cpan shell. It won't bother you again for the whole
CPAN session.

--
Alejandro