Info and questions about Brother[tm] multifunction machine

Paul Macdonald paul at ifdnrg.com
Wed Feb 22 12:54:24 UTC 2012

On 21/02/2012 22:33, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:
> Port 25 is apparently implementing _something_ that sort-of vaguely acts
> like an SMTP server.  However it appears to me that it only accepts e-mail
> for one very specific email address,<... at example.com>, where the '...'
> part is actually a long (unique?) string of letter and numbers that I found
> on one of the config printout pages that I generated when I was installing
> this thing.  I have no idea what this is all about.  I successfully sent
> a short test e-mail to that address, manually typing in all of the necessary
> SMTP commands (via telnet to port 25) and nothing whatsoever happened.  I had
> kind-of been expecting that what I sent (via SMTP) would be printed, but it
> just didn't happen.  Maybe I need to sent it a MIME-encoded message instead (?)
Some of these printers have scan and email functionality, you can
usually set this up in the web admin.

You'll want to change the example.com address to your own and it might
want to talk to an external smart host.

I doubt you can email it print jobs, but there are utilities which i've
seen that can do that, (monitors a pop account and sends a job to
printer if something comes in to that address, eg a taxi bookings firm i
know does this).

Paul.

> Regards,
> rfg

-------------------------
Paul Macdonald
IFDNRG Ltd
Web and video hosting
t: 0131 5548070
m: 07970339546<<PLEASE NOTE NEW MOBILE<<
e: paul at ifdnrg.com
w: http://www.ifdnrg.com
IFDNRG
40 Maritime Street