New iso format on 9.0

egoitz at ramattack.net egoitz at ramattack.net
Tue Feb 21 14:25:17 UTC 2012

On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 13:33:56 +0000, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> On 21/02/2012 12:46, egoitz at ramattack.net wrote:
>> Previously I was doing a : 'tar -C /expert/netboot/freebsd8 -pxvf
>> 8.0-RELEASE-amd64-disc1.iso' for extracting iso files. Now due to a
>> different way of creating iso files in this new release... have read
>> this is not recommended and in fact it does not work pretty good.
>> The
>> matter because I wanted to make this extraction is for an unattended
>> installation system of FreeBSD (Jumpstart basically) so I need a
>> consistent way of extracting it, preserving the most properties of
>> the
>> iso files content. So, could anyone advice me a proper way of doing
>> what
>> I was doing before, with the new iso files?.
>
> Using tar to extract the contents of a .iso should work.  You might
> end
> up with oddities to do with file ownership and permissions, but you
> should be able to fix that by suitable application of mtree(1).
>
> Alternatively you can grab the actual installation images from the
> install media -- that's any of the .txz files under /usr/freebsd-dist
> for 9.0.  These are actually rather easier to use than the
> equivalents
> under 8.x or earlier: you get about 5 .txz files, not all of which
> are
> necessary to boot the new system.  For a minimal install on a 64bit
> platform you'ld need base.txz, lib32.txz and kernel.txz.  Just untar
> those in the root directory of the system you're building (preserving
> permissions and ownership) and you should be good to go. [Assuming
> you've already done all the partitioning and creating filesystems and
> installing boot-blocks stuff required, of course.]
>
> 	Cheers,
>
> 	Matthew

Hi all!!,

And could be possible... doing something like :

mdconfig -a -t vnode -f /tmp/bootable.iso -u 0
# mount -t cd9660 /dev/md0 /mnt

And later an rsync -av (rsync compiled preserving file flags) /mnt
/expert/netboot/freebsd90... ??

and the most important thing... could this content in
/expert/netboot/freebsd90 be consistent for using it for an unattended
installation system?

Thanks a lot!!
Best regards,