/usr/home vs /home

Chip Camden sterling at camdensoftware.com
Tue Feb 21 05:26:08 UTC 2012

Quoth Erich Dollansky on Tuesday, 21 February 2012:
> Hi,

> > > when I got my hands for the first time on a BSD system, the machine has had several 5MB hard disks.
> > >
> > > I assume that what now is called partitioning came from the need to have several disks to run a serious system.
> > >
> > > And yes, it was possible to boot and run BSD with at least 20 users on several 5MB disks.
> > >
> > > Erich
> > Erich, can I be so bold as to ask what brand the disks were? And tax
> > your memory as to when?
>
> it was DEC PDP-11 with a strange drive. One disk was fixed, one was removable. This is the reason why it was easy to switch the operating system. RL .. something like this was the disk name.

I believe the 5MB removable were RL01.  They also had a 10MB removable
RL02, which we used for software distribution.  We resold them to our
customers at $170 each.

--
.O. | Sterling (Chip) Camden      | http://camdensoftware.com
..O | sterling at camdensoftware.com | http://chipsquips.com