Hardware compatibility

Da Rock freebsd-questions at herveybayaustralia.com.au
Tue Feb 21 00:49:58 UTC 2012

On 02/21/12 05:35, Polytropon wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 17:35:43 +0100, Riccardo Garzelli wrote:
>> I was thinking of purchasing a new laptop and I wanted to go for FreeBSD
>> OS. Unfortunately I'm no brainer in Unix so I'd like to find a PC that can
>> run FreeBSD 9.0 out of the box.
>> Could you either tell me which hardware are suitable or a link to a
>> compatibility list?
> Check the hardware compatibility list to find out which
> devices are compatible to FreeBSD, also see the release
> notes regarding version 9.0 of the OS.
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/faq/hardware.html
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/releases/9.0R/hardware.html
>
> It's also a good idea to prepare a FreeBSD CD or DVD (or
> USB stick) that you can launch a FreeBSD system from (e. g.
> live file system with some diagnostic tools, to see if the
> hardware is supported). Ask if you can boot the system
> you're interested in buying with that test media, it shouldn't
> be a problem. You could also _ask_ for how the FreeBSD support
> is, but don't expect any useful answers from an average
> salesperson. :-)
>
> "Does it run FreeBSD?"  -  "Yes, you can click on the Internet
> with it, it's very shiny and comes with a wireless cable." =^_^=
LOL. I like that - I ended up selling a mobile phone to someone in a
major retailer while a clueless salesperson attempted to answer their
questions. When the salesperson came back to me to see what I wanted, I
realised he wasn't going to know the answer either...

To the OP, check the pages Polytropon has linked here, but the chances
of getting exactly that are nil to impossible. I've run about 6 or more
laptops now without too much trouble. The biggest problems were
wireless, but that was the bad old days... most support is there now
thanks to Adrianns work.

Find one you like and run with it. If you have any issues post here and
see if people have some answers that will make it work. I hang out here
a lot for starters.

Having a live disk is not likely to help for several reasons:
1. there aren't really the tools to see if something will actually work
in a production environment (unless pc-bsd have a disc I don't know
about). For instance, wifi maybe recognised but not actually work and
error like crazy only once you start to use it.

2. The BIOS will get in your way - see recent thread regarding samsung
laptop not installing. I don't think the salespeople will let you play
with that either. All the laptops (and possibly branded desktops) are
getting the Window$ "virus".

If you do this *and* get it to boot, you want to get a copy of pciconf
-lv which will give you the best idea on whats what. You may be able to
use a linux live disk (if you can get it to boot) to accomplish this better.

I did this with a touch screen years ago and "wowed" the salesperson -
they generally have no clue about these things :)

My advice: buy one and wing it... it will be alright mostly.

My current laptops with FreeBSD:
HP Compaq Presario CQ62
HP Compaq Presario CQ62
Asus A52N