One or Four?

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Mon Feb 20 14:59:26 UTC 2012

On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 02:22:12AM -0500, Stephen Cook wrote:

> On 2/18/2012 8:03 PM, Erich Dollansky wrote:
> >On Sunday 19 February 2012 04:34:17 Jerry McAllister wrote:

> >>I don't see that this plan adds any significant complication or confusion.
> >>Nor does it prevent any of the schemes people have been advocating or
> >>requesting.
> >You seem to forget normal users who just want to use the system. They do
> >not think of recovery until it actually happens.
>
> I don't know if I count as a *normal* user but here's my two cents:
>
> Some of you think it isn't a good idea to put everything on one
> partition. I'm not yet ready to manually set them up. Every time I get
> into it I read tens of articles and blogs and they all boil down to "it
> depends".
>
> So some middle-ground "this guy is willing to learn but can't set it up
> optimally, and doesn't want a bad config because he is still somewhat
> confused" option should be available, and possibly labeled as such.

So, then, you like the Polytropon schema of three options: two
with fairly reasonable generic options for those who do not
wish to work out any more usage specific pattern plus one for
the person willing and needful of something more specific to
their use - which you never need to study if one of the first
two is satisfactory for you.

////jerry