/usr/home vs /home

Da Rock freebsd-questions at herveybayaustralia.com.au
Mon Feb 20 14:49:34 UTC 2012

On 02/18/12 17:47, Erich Dollansky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Saturday 18 February 2012 13:05:49 Lars Eighner wrote:
>> On Fri, 17 Feb 2012, Daniel Staal wrote:
>>
>>> I've never seen anything listing the main reasons for having /home under /usr
>>> though.  I figure there must be a decent reason why.  Would anyone care to
>>> enlighten me?  What are the perceived advantages?  (Particularly if you then
>>> make a symlink to /home.)
>> There may have been a historic reason, but now it is philosophical - trying
> when I got my hands for the first time on a BSD system, the machine has had several 5MB hard disks.
>
> I assume that what now is called partitioning came from the need to have several disks to run a serious system.
>
> And yes, it was possible to boot and run BSD with at least 20 users on several 5MB disks.
>
> Erich
Erich, can I be so bold as to ask what brand the disks were? And tax
your memory as to when?

I came across an 80M disk a few years ago (at a time when 120G was the
largest), and I was thinking I could use that to prop up my swap space
by about 1 or 2% ;)

That one was a quantum I think...

During my tertiary education we used to get 2M of space as a user, I was
always filling it up in a few sessions. But I digress...