No updates needed to update system to 8.2-RELEASE-p6 but still on 8.2-RELEASE-p3

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 19 01:39:35 UTC 2012

Dear kind folks,

I am getting more and more as to what is needed to keeping a system
running in optimum conditions(updating ports & userland too).  I was
just updating ports, but neglecting the new userland tools & kernels.
I have successfully run make buildworld & make installworld, and the
steps to run newer userland + kernel.  Also one can use freebsd-update
fetch & freebsd-update install and it will install binary
updates(avoid compiling).  I have done this on my 8.2 amd64 machines,
but somehow the finished command says that it is ready to run
8.2-RELEASE-p6, but I reboot and am still in 8.2-RELEASE-p3.  Is there
a way to do it, other than doing it from source(es)? through
freebsd-update utitlity?  I don't understand some suggestions in forum
thread:

I had gotten the error message:
Installing updates...install: ///usr/src/lib/libc/gen/libc_dlopen.c:
No such file or directory
 done.

and overcame it with

# mkdir -p /usr/src/lib/libc/gen

and rerunning freebsd-update fetch and freebsd-update install but
rebooting still gives -p3 kernel:

[olivares at quadcore ~]$ uname -a
FreeBSD quadcore.home 8.2-RELEASE-p3 FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE-p3 #0: Tue
Sep 27 18:45:57 UTC 2011
root at amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64
[olivares at quadcore ~]$ uname -r
8.2-RELEASE-p3
[olivares at quadcore ~]$ su -
Password:
quadcore# freebsd-update fetch
Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 4 mirrors found.
Fetching metadata signature for 8.2-RELEASE from update4.FreeBSD.org... done.
Fetching metadata index... done.
Inspecting system... done.
Preparing to download files... done.

The following files are affected by updates, but no changes have
been downloaded because the files have been modified locally:
/var/db/mergemaster.mtree

No updates needed to update system to 8.2-RELEASE-p6.
quadcore# freebsd-update install
No updates are available to install.
Run '/usr/sbin/freebsd-update fetch' first.
quadcore# freebsd-update fetch
Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 4 mirrors found.
Fetching metadata signature for 8.2-RELEASE from update2.FreeBSD.org... done.
Fetching metadata index... done.
Inspecting system... done.
Preparing to download files... done.

The following files are affected by updates, but no changes have
been downloaded because the files have been modified locally:
/var/db/mergemaster.mtree

No updates needed to update system to 8.2-RELEASE-p6.

As always I thank all users for advice/suggestions/comments.  I have
been bailed out of many problems and am thankful to FreeBSD community.

Regards,

Antonio