Question regarding SPF records

Jonathan Vomacka juvix88 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 17:34:04 UTC 2012

On 2/18/2012 12:18 PM, Waitman Gobble wrote:

> On Feb 18, 2012 8:53 AM, "Jonathan Vomacka" <juvix88 at gmail.com
> <mailto:juvix88 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>  >
>  > I am inquiring about how to setup a proper SPF record. I know there
> are SPF wizards/generators available but each seem to have a different
> "opinion" of what should be included and what should not be included.
>  >
>  > Let me give you a scenario of my setup, and hopefully someone can
> help me out.
>  >
>  > My domain is: test.com <http://test.com>
>  > My mailserver hostname is: mail.host.com <http://mail.host.com> which
> also has a MATCHING PTR record
>  > mail.host.com <http://mail.host.com> (for example) resolves to
> 50.1.1.1 and 50.1.1.1 resolves to mail.host.com <http://mail.host.com>
>  >
>  > This is a STANDALONE mail server which will receive and send email
> without any VIP's or load balancing. There is however one additional
> host that will send out mail from the domain but it wont be receiving
> mail, it will only be used as an SMTP (outbound only) server attached to
> a website automailer which is on a seperate webserver... It only
> generates error reports and sends them out... so technically it isn't a
> full mail server but it will be sending (outbound only) mail on behalf
> of the domain.
>  >
>  > The additional host is: mail2.test.com <http://mail2.test.com> which
> resolves to 50.2.2.2 and there is a Matching PTR.
>  >
>  > These are the ONLY mail servers and IP addresses that will be sending
> out mail from the test.com <http://test.com> domain. Some websites say I
> should use -all and others say -all will cause some MTA's to reject and
> ~all is better to use even if those are the only two hosts sending out mail.
>  >
>  > Would you be able to assist with a solid SPF record?
>  > freebsd-questions at freebsd.org <mailto:freebsd-questions at freebsd.org>
> mailing list
>  > http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-questions
>  > To unsubscribe, send any mail to
> "freebsd-questions-unsubscribe at freebsd.org
>
> I usually choose soft fail because a user might decide to use a mobile
> device for email.
>
> Waitman Gobble
> San Jose California USA

Waitman,

Fair enough statement.

I also generated the following SPF using a wizard. Let me know if this
looks correct:

teamwarfare.com. IN TXT "v=spf1 a mx a:mail.teamwarfare.com
a:mail2.teamwarfare.com ip4:66.90.73.80 ip4:216.250.250.148 ~all"

I wouldn't need an "include:" or "ptr" statement in this right? I would
told "include:" was to include OTHER domains that are allowed to send
e-mail, but then again I see some people writing the domain again as an
include. Also is PTR good to use or not?