One or Four?

Robert Bonomi bonomi at mail.r-bonomi.com
Sat Feb 18 06:33:07 UTC 2012

> From owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org  Fri Feb 17 16:20:48 2012
> Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 14:05:23 -0800
> From: "Robison, Dave" <david.robison at fisglobal.com>
> To: <freebsd-questions at freebsd.org>
> Subject: One or Four?
>
> Hiya,
>
> A question has arisen with the implementation of bsdinstall in 9.x as
> opposed to sysinstall in 8.x and previous versions of FreeBSD.
>
> It has always been FreeBSD's default to create four partitions and swap
> as such:
>
> /
> /tmp
> /var
> /usr
> swap
>
> The recent changes in 9.x with bsdinstall use a default behavior which
> creates only one partition and swap, with everything living under a
> single "/" partition as such:
>
> /
> swap

Blame the Linux community for fostering _that_ silliness.   <wry grin>

> We'd like a show of hands to see if folks prefer the "old" style default
> with 4 partitions and swap, or the newer iteration with 1 partition and
> swap.

*I* would stronngly prefer _five_ partitions plus swap;

  /
  /tmp
  /var
  /usr
  /home
  swap

There are good arguments to be made for keeping the '/' filesystem as small
as practical, _and_ restricting it to 'system' content -- preferably all
"non-volatile" such that it (as well as '/usr') can be mounted read-only.

The above-mentioned RO mounting does wonders for system reliability and
speed of crash recovery.