One or Four?

Julian H. Stacey jhs at berklix.com
Fri Feb 17 23:20:14 UTC 2012

> We'd like a show of hands to see if folks prefer the "old" style default
> with 4 partitions and swap, or the newer iteration with 1 partition and
> swap.

I've been doing Unix 30+ years, so there's a tendency to respond
"Multiple", 'cos seeing a single 1 partition on a system normaly
meant it had been set up by someone clueless or lazy.  Though not
always, as there could very occasionaly be good reason for it.  ...
& ZFS now muddies the water.  However whichever way ...

> Let the majority decide which layout is preferred for the default.

No. Bad idea. Not on questions@, the list of the least clued up,
the list raw beginners are referred to subscribe to.  At least get
a majority on hackers@ or current@ or arch at .  Some answers one sees
on questions@ are very good, but some are ... the other way.

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultants Munich http://berklix.com
 Reply below not above, cumulative like a play script, & indent with "> ".