Software Development using Freebsd.

C. P. Ghost cpghost at cordula.ws
Wed Feb 8 00:23:17 UTC 2012

On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 5:34 PM, Waitman Gobble <gobble.wa at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Feb 6, 2012 6:13 PM, "C. P. Ghost" <cpghost at cordula.ws> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 11:37 PM, Jorge Biquez <jbiquez at intranet.com.mx>
>> wrote:
>> > Now we will try to have a graphical mode in Freebsd. With that we would
>> > like
>> > to be able to develop graphical applications for Windows (we all know
>> > that's
>> > the market and here some companies is what they are looking), so maybe
>> > sound
>> > crazy but I am looking to develop applications for Windows without using
>> > WIndows or Microsofot products at least.
>>
>> Go for Qt. It is a great cross-platform C++ GUI framework, with plugins to
>> SQL
>> databases, networking and everything you would typically need. There's
>> even
>> PyQt, if you want Python bindings.
>>
>> Check out the examples in the Qt distribution too to get an idea:
>>
>> http://developer.qt.nokia.com/doc/qt-4.8/all-examples.html
>
> I agree Qt is a great solution however you are probably going to want to
> ship static binaries to windows clients (only), especially to non-techical
> end users... otherwise it gets kind of insane, much more challenging than
> distributing java based apps IMHO.
>
> But the IDE is fantastic plus you get a nice integration with webkit.
>
> if I remember (been awhile) the license terms are a little different for
> static, would have to re-read carefully.

I don't know about licensing issues w.r.t. static binaries; but you're
absolutely right: it's definitely worth looking into.

Another cross-platform GUI is wxWidgets (C++, but has Python
bindings too). It's not as rich a library as Qt IMHO, but quite nice
too. You may want to combine wxWidgets with Poco though (all
of this is in ports, btw).

-cpghost.

--
Cordula's Web. http://www.cordula.ws/