Dump Restore on ZFS root system

William Brown william.e.brown at adelaide.edu.au
Tue Feb 7 14:31:05 UTC 2012

On 07/02/2012, at 22:25, dick wrote:

> Op 7-2-2012 12:23, Vincent Hoffman schreef:
>> On 07/02/2012 11:00, dick wrote:
>>> I run a ZFS on root FreeBSD system. I know I can backup with snapshots
>>> but I want a dump/restore action because I want to transfer this
>>> system to a UFS virtual FreeBSD machine.
>>> My question is: will dump / (root) make a dump of *ALL* other
>>> directories?
>>>
>> Dump works at the filesystem level and will not work on a zfs filesystem
>> [root at banshee /backup/local/zfs]# dump -b 64  -f - ./
>> dump: ./: unknown file system
>>
>> I'd use tar or cpio or pax or something.
>> On a UFS filesystem dump will only dump the filesystem specified and
>> will not cross mountpoints.
> OK, got it. I will have to read up on the best option (tar, cpio or pax)

Why not use the ZFS send / receive command?

Sincerely,

William Brown

Research & Teaching, Technology Services
The University of Adelaide, AUSTRALIA 5005

CRICOS Provider Number 00123M
IMPORTANT: This message may contain confidential or legally privileged
information. If you think it was sent to you by mistake, please delete all
copies and advise the sender. For the purposes of the SPAM Act 2003, this
email is authorised by The University of Adelaide.

pgp.mit.edu
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=vindex&search=0x3C0AC6DAB2F928A2