on hammer's, security, and centrifuges...

Steve Bertrand steve.bertrand at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 13:29:15 UTC 2012

On 2012.02.07 07:03, Henry Olyer wrote:

> Look, I'm going to use FreeBSD as long as both it and I am around, it's
> just the best choice for me, for my user's.  But we need to improve
> security.

I'm very happy with the security and stability of FreeBSD, and praise
the sec team and contributors to make it so.

I've run literally hundreds of FreeBSD boxes, mostly in a busy ISP
environment since 4.3, and never have been hacked after normal system
protections are in place.

> For now, until I remake my laptop, I'm going to disable the ath0 wireless.
>
> How?  What's the best method to make certain that my wireless chip is
> turned off?

Comment out the configuration lines for the ath interface in rc.conf, or
to remove it completely, recompile the kernel after removing 'device ath'.

> Or is this something best accomplished with a hammer?

For the overly paranoid.

> Is their something I can do that would help the FBSD security people?

Document how your security suggestions will rectify the problem you
perceive, file PRs, then write patches. You are after all a developer :)

Steve