Software Development using Freebsd.

Rod Person rodperson at rodperson.com
Mon Feb 6 23:57:02 UTC 2012

On Mon, 06 Feb 2012 16:37:37 -0600
Jorge Biquez <jbiquez at intranet.com.mx> wrote:

> Now we will try to have a graphical mode in Freebsd. With that we
> would like to be able to develop graphical applications for Windows
> (we all know that's the market and here some companies is what they
> are looking), so maybe sound crazy but I am looking to develop
> applications for Windows without using WIndows or Microsofot products
> at least.

You could try mono and monodevelop
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/url.cgi?ports/devel/monodevelop/pkg-descr

Mono is the open source version of .NET/C#. This would teach the basics
of .NET and C#.

> Maybe I am wrong but until now I think my only option is to use
> Phyton. Is that correct? For what I have searched Python will let me
> create executables and will let me create Graphical solutions even
> for other platforms (Mac or LInux or whatever runs Python).

You can use Python and py2exe to create the executable that would run
on Windows, but you have to run py2exe on a Windows machine.

If you know Pascal you can look at the FreePascal and Lazarus. I
haven't used it in years, but I was able to create several applications
that ran on both FreeBSD and Windows.
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/url.cgi?ports/editors/lazarus/pkg-descr

Rod Person         http://www.rodperson.com     rodperson at rodperson.com

"Let us in the name of the Holy Trinity, go on sending all the slaves
 that can be sold."
- Letter from Christopher Columbus.
  J.A. Rawley, The Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade: A History. Pg.3