MFC 7840W under CUPS

Da Rock freebsd-questions at herveybayaustralia.com.au
Mon Feb 6 14:18:51 UTC 2012

On 02/06/12 22:21, Jerry wrote:
> On Sun, 05 Feb 2012 21:21:59 +0100
> Ouyang Xueyu articulated:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have Freebsd 8.2 and CUPS installed and try to print on my Brother
>> MFC 7840W printer. The printer is accessible by a static IP address,
>> is configured in CUPS but everytime I only get blank pages when I'm
>> trying to print.
>>
>> Does anybody know a solution for this behaviour?
> I have the same problem with a different Brother printer. I have used
> every PPD file I could fine including the one from new Win7 machine.
>
> You did not state what program(s) you are attempting to print from. If
> given the option, choose the LPR option in the menu. It works for me.
>
> I have supplied every piece of information I could find on this problem
> to the CUPS people without getting any useful results. It seems, and
> this is just a guess -- but a good one in my opinion -- that it is a
> FreeBSD phenomenon. Brother does supply driver setups for Linux but
> that is about it.
>
> Good luck, I just plan gave up. The time and trouble involved in
> getting it to work was simply not worth the effort involved. By the
> way, what CUPS version?

If you can supply the debug info then we can have a crack at what
exactly is happening.

Personally I come from the print industry and have significant
experience with printers and drivers (and other factors), I'm sure there
are others in the same position. The more information there is
available, the more eyes on it, and the sooner a fix could come along.