Moving boot/root disk in 9.0

james james at mansionfamily.plus.com
Sun Feb 5 23:10:39 UTC 2012

Now that I've moved to stable and mfi is working, I'd like to stop
booting off my SATA SSD (and also move ZIL off it) to a RAID1 on the PERC.

I've sliced up the disk etc, but is there a handy procedure I can use to
move the relevant parts of / to /newboot (where I've currently mounted
the new boot slice)?

I'm thinking its not a straightforward tar in '/': /data is a ZFS root
volume and contains a number of volumes for user home areas (mounted
under /home) and also volumes mounted on /usr/src, /usr/obj and
/usr/ports.  And then there's /dev too.

Once I've got everything moved I'll disable the ZIL and move over by
fiddling the BIOS priorities.

James