the WD USB 3.0 "My Book" Essential

Thomas Mueller mueller23 at insightbb.com
Sat Feb 4 13:42:02 UTC 2012

> Ah!, I didn't know that some USB connectors (the receptacle on the computer
> side of the cable,) were for 3.0 and others for 2.0.  How do I discover or
> test my USB receptacles?

USB 3.0 connectors have a somewhat different appearance than USB 2.0 or 1.1 connectors.

I knew which were which from motherboard labels and documentation.  I built the new computer from parts, and two important motherboard features I was looking for were UEFI and USB 3.0.

Do you know if your motherboard has USB 3.0?  There are PCI and PCI Express adapters with USB 3.0 ports that you can buy.

Tom