Fwd: the WD USB 3.0 "My Book" Essential

Henry Olyer henry.olyer at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 10:37:37 UTC 2012

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Henry Olyer <henry.olyer at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 8:44 PM
Subject: the WD USB 3.0 "My Book" Essential
Cc: Roland Smith <rsmith at xs4all.nl>

Has anyone gotten one to work?

Either as a USB 2.x or 3.x?  Yes, I know that to do 2.x one must use a
different cable.  I do that.  Because I am wondering what's going on.
 Possibly I just happened to buy a drive that's DOA, I don't know, and I'm
not say that, YET.

I'd like to hear from other purchasers, what's the current buzz on this
product.  I don't want to bash the WD guys, in the past their products have
been wonderful and it may turn out that this will the case here too.

But after a lot of struggling, first with 3.x, now with 2.x, I'm still not
able to get beyond /dev/da0.  And yes I've tried mounting that but that
doesn't work.  And nothing I do seems to produce the needed /dev/da0s1,
which is usually what I see to do a mount.

I've been getting really good help from Roland and others here.  We've been
concentrating on the FBSD side of things and now I'm thinking that's not
where the trouble is.

So again, has anyone gotten a WD My Book Essential drive to work?  With
either USB 2.x or 3.x?