Possible move back to FreeBSD

mikel king mikel.king at olivent.com
Fri Feb 3 05:40:12 UTC 2012

On Feb 3, 2012, at 12:34 AM, Chris wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have been using Debian for a few years now (previous BSD user) and I'm considering moving back.
>
> Admittedly, I have gotten used to the simplicity of using apt-get to update the system.
>
> What will pull me back is if there is an equivalent to use. I do not intend on custom kernels, and I don't intend on using ports (it was the many hours spent keeping the ports tree current along with installed ports).
>
> If someone would suggest the material to read and perhaps a synopsis of the process, I would be happy to do the leg work.
>
> TIA
> Chris

Hey Chris,

Good to see you again after all this time. I always found the port fetch process dead easy for keeping things up to date. I honestly doubt much has changed since you last used FreeBSD. However I've been playing around with PC-BSD and their PBI system to be pretty good.

Regards,
Mikel King
BSD News Network
http://bsdnews.net