OT: Slackware: Starting Servers at Boot

Nikola Pavlović nzp at riseup.net
Thu Feb 2 23:02:23 UTC 2012

On Thu, Feb 02, 2012 at 01:21:41PM -0800, Waitman Gobble wrote:
> On Feb 2, 2012 1:09 PM, "Chris Maness" <chris at chrismaness.com> wrote:
> >

> > After more searching it turns out that all that one needs to do is
> > make the rc.bind executable in the rc.d directory.  Wow, that is as
> > straight forward as it comes.

Slackware is as straight forward as a Linux distro can get.  If FreeBSD
and Slackware both dissapeared I would be tempted to give up on
computing (well, not really, but you get the picture). :)

> might be dated info but GNU/Linux usually has sep directory for each run
> level, so you can have one "without X" for example. pretty sure ntsysv is a
> front end to rc directories with toggle on-off executable bit

Slack doesn't do that madness, it has BSD-style init scripts and the
only thing you need to do is, as Chris said, to make desired scripts
in /etc/rc.d executable.  There really aren't any tools such as ntsysv
or rcconf in Slackware as far as I remember, at least not in "base"
system but there might be some made by community.

--
Tax reform means "Don't tax you, don't
tax me, tax that fellow behind the tree."