Newbie question about freebsd-update: single user mode is not needed anymore?

Jose Garcia Juanino jjuanino at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 12:14:02 UTC 2012

Hi,

I am planning to upgrade from FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE to
FreeBSD-9.1-RELEASE. With upgrade source method, it is always needed to
do the "make installworld" step in single user mode. But it seems to
be that single user is not required with freebsd-update method, in the
second "freebsd-update install". Someone could explain the reason? Am I
misunderstanding something? Can I run the upgrade enterely by mean a ssh
connection in a safe way, or will I need a serial console?

Best regards, and excuse my poor english.