PPPOED: reading data of line quality from the A/DSL modem

O. Hartmann ohartman at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Thu Dec 27 10:59:05 UTC 2012

When using modern SoGo A/DSL routers, most devices do have fancy GUIs
and information screens about the settings of the device and especially
the line quality, like SNR, dampening et cetera.

In my private office, I've setup a FreeBSD server acting like a
gateway/router, replacing my oldish non-IPv6 capable ADSL modem/router.
Using a secondary NIC connecting to the ADSL modem via PPPOED, I'd like
to read some of the important statistsics from the device's chipset like
line quality informations. Sometimes our line here go bad and with the
setup at the moment, I can not check what's wrong.

Also, I have no informations about the actual up- and downstream speed,
which is also important to me.
Since most professional/commercial ADSL routers/modems use opensource
software, most prefereably Linux, I was wondering if there isn't a way
to achieve those data from FreeBSD as well. I prefer the system's tools
in favour over a port installation, but if there is a sophisticated
software, I would appreciate a hint or tip.

Thanks,
Oliver

P.S. Please set me CC, I do not subscribe this list.