Sound lag in Wine

David Naylor naylor.b.david at gmail.com
Tue Dec 25 08:33:49 UTC 2012

Hi

On Thursday, 20 December 2012 15:08:31 Ross wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I installed David Naylor's wine-fbsd64-1.5.18.
> Installed Steam, bought Counter-Strike 1.6 and CS: CZ.
>
> However, when I run these games I experience a sound lag (maybe a
> half-second — second).

I remember having a similar problem, although my issue was an echo.  After a
few updates the issue disappeared.

> I googled the topic, the soultion is to switch to Alsa, which is not
> supported in wine-fbsd64-1.5.18…
>
> Is there anything I can do to get rid of the lag?

I can suggest three things to try:
 1) Update software
 1.1) Upgrade (or downgrade) wine (I've release version 1.5.20)
 1.2) Upgrade ports (some sound related components may cause issues, although
*very* unlikely)
 1.3) Upgrade kernel and world (sound fixes may be available to fix your
issue)

 2) Try building your own wine package with ALSA support (requires a i386
jail/chroot, editing the emulators/wine-devel/Makefile and manually installing
the ALSA port).  See my other emails regarding the procedure to build a wine-
fbsd64 package.

 3) File a bug report to bugs.winehq.org.  I've found the sound guy very
responsive and willing to fix the OSS backend (patches may be provided
requiring parts of step 2).

If you do not come right please ping me in the middle of Jan and I'll try
assist you (I should be able to get a copy of CS 1.6).

Regards,

David