uname -r output values?

Damien Fleuriot ml at my.gd
Sat Dec 22 13:46:14 UTC 2012

On 21 Dec 2012, at 18:51, Fbsd8 <fbsd8 at a1poweruser.com> wrote:

> Fleuriot Damien wrote:
>
>> On Dec 21, 2012, at 2:36 PM, Fbsd8 <fbsd8 at a1poweruser.com> wrote:
>>> When issuing the uname -r command what are the different values possible to expect?
>>>
>>> So far I have this list.
>>>
>>> Where X.X = major release . Sub release numbers
>>> Where y = number 1 through 9
>>>
>>> X.X-BETAy
>>> X.X-RCy
>>> X.X-RELEASE
>>> X.X-RELEASE-py
>>> X.X-PRERELEASE
>>> X.X-CURRENT
>> mybsd dam  ~
>> $ uname -r
>> 8.2-STABLE
>
> How did you create this 8.2-STABLE system?
>
> I don't see any .iso file for

Instructions given already by Devin.

Basically, STABLE is a good compromise between running the latest version (10-CURRENT if you're on 9, or 9.x if you're on 8), and running a RELEASE that gets updated very slowly.

I've never had bad surprises with STABLE and encourage running it instead of RELEASE if you want the latest patches.

Note that on occasion, STABLE will be replaced by BETA or RC.

For example 8.2-STABLE became 8.3-RC1 at some point, then 8.3-RC1 ceased to exist altogether and was renamed to 8.3-STABLE (discounting any other release candidates here).