FreeBSD as an Access Point

Arthur Chance freebsd at qeng-ho.org
Sat Dec 22 11:21:02 UTC 2012

On 12/21/12 21:12, dweimer wrote:
> Just wondering if anyone has used FreeBSD (or NanoBSD) on any small form
> factor broads such as PC Engines Alix, or similar hardware.  And how
> well it has worked for them, and what hardware they used.
>
> I have been having a lot of performance issues with my home wireless,
> and am considering replacing the current APs early next year.  I wanted
> something a little more flexible than the standard consumer AP, without
> spending the money for a high end Cisco AP (I do realize that the
> hardware will run me in the range of their low end APs).  My early
> searching shows I should be able to get an Alix board, Wireless Card,
> and Antennas for around $300.

I run pfSense on an Alix 2d13 for my firewall, which I see you mentioned
doing in a later mail. It handles a 60 Mb/s link without breaking sweat.
NanoBSD obviously would fit on it, using a CF card. If you wanted
full(ish) FreeBSD you could always add an external disk. I note you're
using a crypto accelerator too help with IPSec - are you aware that the
Geode CPU has hardware support for AES? Alternatively, the Alix 2d2 has
2 miniPCI slots so you could have both a crypto unit and a WiFi.