Upgrading FreeBSD 8.3 amd64

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Thu Dec 20 16:10:44 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2012-12-20 at 15:52 +0700, Erich Dollansky wrote:
> > The author of the snd_hdspe driver for FreeBSD seems to need testers.
>
> I never have heard of this driver.

It's a new driver for FreeBSD for some cards of the vendor RME, AFAIK
they only sell really professional audio cards, used for broadcasting
and by professional audio studios. I never heard of professional audio
studios using FreeBSD, so it's very likely that FreeBSD users seldom
spend that much money for cards, that ship with all kinds of audio
interfaces, that aren't needed for averaged audio usage.

I was a professional audio and video engineer, but for my home studio I
only bought a relatively cheap RME card, the HDSPe AIO.

http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_hdspe_aio.php

It comes with stereo AD/DA converters only, every elCheapo on-board
audio device has got more AD/DA IOs. Costs around 500,- EUR / 650,- USD.
Other RME gear is much more expensive.

Regards,
Ralf