Upgrading FreeBSD 8.3 amd64

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 18:41:42 UTC 2012

Ralf,

On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 11:09 AM, Ralf Mardorf
<ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-12-19 at 10:14 -0600, Antonio Olivares wrote:
>> You may also use at your discretion the portmaster tool?  It works
>> very well and a nice example is given by W. Block:
>>
>> http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/portupgrade.html
>
> Thank you Antonio :)
>
> because I can't install FreeBSD by the 9.0 DVD, for what reason ever
> this doesn't work, I installed it by the 8.3 DVD and will now make a
> release upgrade. IIUC a release upgrade will rebuild everything, hence
> there should be no dependency issues. My FreeBSD 8.3 is a fresh install,
> I only set up PPPoE, anything else is default.
> IIUC I need to take care about it to keep dependencies up to date, when
> I don't upgrade the complete release, but just upgrade some software.
>
> So, can I upgrade from 8.3 to 9.0, without taking care about
> dependencies and take care about the link, when 9.0 is installed,
> instead of doing it right now?

Yes, you can do it.
You can update to 9.0 with freebsd-update tool and then
install/reinstall the ports.

# freebsd-update -r 9.1-RELEASE
or
#  freebsd-update -r 9.0-RELEASE
in case that 9.1 is not there yet*?  then run

# freebsd-update fetch

# freebsd-update install

to get security updates as is documented :

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/updating-upgrading-freebsdupdate.html

This should work well to get newer RELEASE, but some ports may be
needed to be rebuilt/reinstalled.

Hope this helps,

Antonio