Upgrading FreeBSD 8.3 amd64

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Tue Dec 18 17:58:02 UTC 2012

On Tue, 18 Dec 2012 18:42:41 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> I want to test snd_hdspe. How can I upgrade from 8.2 to a version
> including the driver or something similar to get the driver?
> Btw. I didn't test, if the driver is part of 8.3 until now :D, but if
> IIUC I need >= 9.0.

It would probably be the easiest way to update your source tree
(using svn as this is the default method today) and re-install
from that. I'm not sure freebsd-update can cross the "major
version border" without trouble (never tried).

See 25.7 for details:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html

But also note that freebsd-update supports a -r <version> option
as explained in 25.2.3:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/updating-upgrading-freebsdupdate.html

But as I said, I've never personally tried that.

This approach keeps all your partition settings and doesn't require
any other work to be done on that level.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany