FreeBSD as VMWare guest / disk resizing

Devin Teske devin.teske at fisglobal.com
Tue Dec 18 01:27:36 UTC 2012

It can be done but it's not easy and not pretty.

You'll have to rewrite the partition scheme to grow *only* the last partition and then use growfs on the last partition to zero the new inodes within its newly defined range.

You'll of course need to boot from another medium to do this.

I usually use DruidBSD for this:

DruidBSD-1.0b1.iso

(a tiny 23.5MB ISO that you can write to thumb disk with dd or burn to cd; either works fine)

Boot from it and use the tools like "disklabel -e /dev/yourdisk"

But… be extremely careful and do your mathematics!

I know this isn't a complete step-by-step guide, but I wanted to get the answer out there that this is possible and it's a known quantity, but it can be dangerous if you get the math wrong when editing the disklabel positions, for example. If you can get that part right, the rest is easy (growfs).
--
Devin