aclocal-1.12: error: 'configure.ac'

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sun Dec 16 14:16:57 UTC 2012

On Sun, 16 Dec 2012 02:13:52 -0500, Michael Powell wrote:
> Oleg simonoff wrote:
>
> > Hi to all!
> >   Want to to ask the unix community about my problem. Don`t know what
> > to do.....
> >   racking my brain over ...
> >   The system freeBSD 8.2
> >   Got some trouble with compilation portupgrade-2.4.9.9,2
> >
> >   /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/portupgrade sudo make install
> >   ===> Configuring for ruby-1.8.7.370,1
> >   /usr/bin/touch /opt/ports/lang/ruby18/work/ruby-1.8.7-p370/configure
> >   aclocal-1.12: error: 'configure.ac' or 'configure.in' is required
> >   *** Error code 1
> >
> >   Stop in /opt/ports/lang/ruby18javascript:doImageSubmit('Send').
> >   *** Error code 1
> >
> >   Stop in /opt/ports/lang/ruby18.
> >   *** Error code 1
> >
> >   Stop in /opt/ports/ports-mgmt/portupgrade.
> >   *** Error code 1
> >
> >   Stop in /opt/ports/ports-mgmt/portupgrade.
>                     ^^^^^^
>
> Don't know if this matters, never tried it that way - this is FreeBSD, not
> Linux. FreeBSD is not some kind of Linux.

With setting $PORTSDIR it should be possible to have a valid (!)
ports tree in any location you want. See "man 7 ports" for details.

> With that said, the ports tree usually lives under /usr/ports. No idea why
> it would show up under /opt, except as some carry over Linuxism.

Probably you aren't old enough to remember that /opt is not
a Linuxism, but a Solarism, Solarisism. It expresses the
optimistic attitude that the content of this subtree will
work as expected. :-)

> You
> probably need to wipe the Linuxism and start over as a FreeBSD  user.

There's nothing wrong with /opt, but I've never found it would
be a good place to put the ports tree in. I'm (ab)using /opt
myself for software that I manage outside of the ports tree,
completely manually: it's basically scripts in /opt/bin, some
specific printer filters in /opt/libexec (called by printcap),
and few "self-contained" subtrees of non-ports stuff. In this
way, it does not touch the main system.

However, having the complete (!) ports in /usr/ports should
avoid trouble. What's confusing here is the fact that the OP
seems to have a "mixed" installation.

The prompt reads:

> >   /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/portupgrade sudo make install

But the error messages say:

> >   /usr/bin/touch /opt/ports/lang/ruby18/work/ruby-1.8.7-p370/configure

So there seems to be both /usr/ports and /opt/ports... ???

But finally:

> >   Stop in /opt/ports/ports-mgmt/portupgrade.

Is there some symlinking issue opt<->usr?

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany