svn revision in uname

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Sat Dec 15 21:02:10 UTC 2012

"Anders N." <wicked at baot.se> writes:

> Hi. I've noticed in my "uname -a" on 9.1-RELEASE there is "r243826."
> This is on a system that upgraded from 9.1-RC3 using freebsd-update
> (binary). On another system, upgraded from 9.0-RELEASE via
> freebsd-update (source), there is nothing at all and uname -a looks
> normal. Two other people I asked have r243825 (installed from ISO) and
> r243872 (upgraded from svn).
>
> They're all 9.1-RELEASE, shouldn't they be the same, final version?

As I understand it, the revision ID refers to the whole repository, not
just a branch. So if you do your own svn checkout tomorrow, you'll get
yet another revision number, even though the files will (probably) be
completely identical to what you checked out yesterday -- ongoing
commits to HEAD will keep kicking the revision number up.

There is work going on to make system builds completely, bit-for-bit,
repeatable, but that will presumably mean getting rid of this revision
number information, not making it consistent.