FreeBSD Release Date Challenge, plus other stuff the project needs

n j nino80 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 12:10:56 UTC 2012

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 8:17 AM, Stephen Cook <sclists at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/11/2012 1:52 AM, Anonymous wrote:
>>
>> We, the users of FreeBSD, *do hereby challenge* the FreeBSD project
>> to meet its future release dates.
>
> Similarly, I'm a bit concerned that 9.0 loses support at the end of January,
> but there is no release date for 9.1 (at
> http://www5.us.freebsd.org/releases/9.1R/schedule.html, the last actual date
> shown is November 3, 2012, for RC3). I'm confused as to the best course of
> action: continue to use an unsupported version and hope the new one comes
> out sooner than later, or downgrade to a supported version (8.3).

>From security.freebsd.org:

Normal
Releases which are published from a -STABLE branch will be supported
by the Security Officer for a minimum of 12 months after the release,
and for sufficient additional time (if needed) to ensure that there is
a newer release for at least 3 months before the older Normal release
expires.

So the real EoL for 9.0 is the date of 9.1 release plus 3 months.

--
Nino