Login class and limit

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Thu Dec 6 22:47:51 UTC 2012

Vagner <vagner at bsdway.ru> writes:

> On 06:53 Thu 06 Dec , Charles Swiger wrote:

>> "su -", "su -l", and "sudo -i" provide a login shell, which gets the
>> limits setup by login.conf.  Normally daemons are started at boot
>> via rc mechanism (or perhaps get spawned from inetd) and do not
>> have a login shell associated with them to setup the limits.
>>
>> Either use one of the su/sudo flavors I mention above, or "/bin/sh -l"
>> to provide a login env to the process?
>
> ie means to implement restrictions limits(1) and login.conf(5) for daemons is not possible?

It's possible, but you would have to use a login shell, which is usually
inconvenient for a daemon (not having an attached terminal for I/O).

The usual way to do this is to start the daemon in a script that
explicitly sets the limits with /usr/bin/limits (or maybe ulimit, but
limits(1) seems more common). Several ports do this, for example.