Login class and limit

Charles Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Thu Dec 6 15:54:08 UTC 2012

Hi--

On Dec 6, 2012, at 6:32 AM, Vagner <vagner at bsdway.ru> wrote:
> Hi all!
> I need help configuring limits for users at FreeBSD 8.3.
> I set next options and parametrs at login.conf(5):
[ … ]

>> # sudo -u daemon limits
>> Resource limits (current):
>>  cputime              infinity secs
>
> but:
>
>> # su - daemon -c 'limits'
>> Resource limits (current):
>>  cputime                     5 secs
>
> Why? And how can i running process without su(1) to apply limits for
> my user class?

"su -", "su -l", and "sudo -i" provide a login shell, which gets the
limits setup by login.conf.  Normally daemons are started at boot
via rc mechanism (or perhaps get spawned from inetd) and do not
have a login shell associated with them to setup the limits.

Either use one of the su/sudo flavors I mention above, or "/bin/sh -l"
to provide a login env to the process…

Regards,
--
-Chuck