Somewhat OT: Is Full Command Logging Possible?

Fleuriot Damien ml at my.gd
Thu Dec 6 09:26:17 UTC 2012

On Dec 6, 2012, at 1:35 AM, Kurt Buff <kurt.buff at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 3:48 PM, Tim Daneliuk <tundra at tundraware.com> wrote:
>> On 12/05/2012 05:44 PM, Kurt Buff wrote:

>>> <snip>
>>>

>>> sudo is misconfigured.
>>>
>>> man 5 sudoers and man 8 visudo
>>>

>>> Kurt
>>>

>> I'm sorry Kurt, I'm sort of dense today, I'm not sure what you're
>> saying.  Are you suggesting that there is a way to configure
>> sudo so that if someone does 'sudo su -' to become an admin,
>> sudo can be made to log every command they execute thereafter?
>
> No, I'm saying that sudo should not be configured to allow 'sudo su -'.

This is an ineffective solution.

So what, you're going to forbid "sudo su -"

Fine, I'll just run "sudo csh" .

If you forbid csh, I'll just copy the existing `which csh` to ~/toto and "sudo ~/toto" .

Basically, anything short of actually whitelisting what people can run won't do.

And apparently that's not in Tim's list of desirable things ;)