installworld strangeness

David Noel david.i.noel at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 17:49:29 UTC 2012

On 11/22/12, David Noel <david.i.noel at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/22/12, Paul Schmehl <pschmehl_lists at tx.rr.com> wrote:
>> --On November 22, 2012 7:14:35 AM -0600 David Noel
>> <david.i.noel at gmail.com>
>>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Updating from 8.2 to 8.3 I'm running into the following:
>>>
>>> ===> include (install)
>>> creating osreldate.h from newvers.sh
>>> dirname: not found
>>> *** Error code 127
>>>
>>> Stop in /usr/src/include.
>>> *** Error code 1
>>>
>>> Stop in /usr/src.
>>> *** Error code 1
>>>
>>> Stop in /usr/src.
>>> *** Error code 1
>>>
>>> Stop in /usr/src.
>>> *** Error code 1
>>>
>>> Stop in /usr/src.
>>>
>>> Has anyone managed to work past this error message?
>>
>> I just upgraded a system from 8.2 to 8.3 without a problem.  World build
>> find as did kernel.
>>
>> It sounds like you're missing source files.
>>
>> Try fetching the source from svn and starting over.
>>
>> svn co svn://svn.freebsd.org/base/releng/8.3/ /usr/src
>>
>> Paul Schmehl, Senior Infosec Analyst
>>

> I pulled with `svn co https://svn0.us-west.FreeBSD.org/base/releng/8.3
> /usr/src`, so everything should be in order there.

Out of frustration I resorted to the last measure of a clean install.
I was afraid that I'd forgotten to record other filesystem changes and
that they were causing the error so I figured it would be the easiest
way to be sure.

There was one mention of this error message on the questions mailing
list that I'd missed earlier. In it the theory that file dates were
causing the error message was discussed. Prior to reinstallation I ran
`make -d A installworld` and in the verbose output was given a message
supporting that theory: that the error was caused by sys/param.h being
newer than osreldate.h, so it seems safe to say that was the cause.

In retrospect though it seems strange. If that really was the case it
makes little sense that a clean install would fix things. I built off
of the exact same code so it stands to reason that error message
should have presented itself again were the dates truly the cause. So
I'm not entirely certain, unfortunately.

At any rate, the problem has been resolved. For future readers
struggling with a similar problem I'd suggest fiddling with the
date-stamps to see if it resolves the error.

Thanks, all.

-David