Building a Headless FreeBSD Virtual System

Ryan Frederick ryanrfrederick at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 15:52:14 UTC 2012

When you define the virtual serial port in VirtualBox for the guest VM
one of the options available for connection of the port to the host
system is a named pipe (I believe it's called "Host Pipe" in the
configuration). You can then specify whatever named pipe on the host
system you wish to attach the VM's serial port to then use a utility
such as `socat` to present the I/O from the named pipe as a PTY device.
 From there it's simply a matter of using a utility such as `cu` or
`screen` to connect to the PTY.

Ryan