EXIF inspector

Gary Aitken ah at dreamchaser.org
Sun Aug 26 14:58:55 UTC 2012

On 08/25/12 09:58, Waitman Gobble wrote:
> I've always used /usr/ports/graphics/jhead which has seemed to me to show
> the most information.... here is a basic comparison.. but the exiv2 is
> cool, didn't realize it would work with RAW files.. thanks for that
> information!

The output I posted was from a .jpg, but it does work on raw also.

What I found was there was a wide variation in what was reported depending on
the tool, primarily because a number of important (to me) variables are
contained only in vendor specific sections.  In particular, I was looking
for image stabilization info because I was having issues with a camera and
lens and was trying to compare images shot with and without stabilization.

What I didn't realize was that because the information was not standardized,
it was reported using different labels by different tools, so when I used
grep and the label I was looking for didn't show up, I assumed the field was
being overlooked.  That wasn't always the case.

Gary