Does 9.0 honor TERM settings

Lars Eighner lars at larseighner.com
Fri Aug 24 11:14:30 UTC 2012

On Fri, 24 Aug 2012, Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Aug 2012 05:11:19 -0500 (CDT)
> Lars Eighner <luvbeastie at larseighner.com> wrote:

>> If 9.0 had not broken my most important applications, I wouldn't be
>> asking.
>
> 	Which applications - and are they still broken with the right TERM
> settings (TERM=xterm) ?

Joe, most, lynx (which is also my file manager) in functions involving
function keys.  I could, of course, remap all of the macros, but that would
be silly since I have about five pages of keymapping in .Xdefaults to
make xterm in X emulate cons25.

But that does give me an idea for an emergency solution -- perhaps I can run
my console applications in an xterm in X since I made it emulate cons25.  Of
course there is nothing in X that will put 4000 characters (80x25) on the
screen at once as legibly as VGA fonts do - which is why I use console
applications to begin with - so that is strictly a "get out of a jam"
solution, not practical for production.

--
Lars Eighner
http://www.larseighner.com/index.html