harware compatibility queustion

Graeme Dargie arab at tangerine-army.co.uk
Fri Aug 24 10:32:17 UTC 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org [mailto:owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org] On Behalf Of Robert Bonomi
Sent: 24 August 2012 03:30
To: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
Subject: harware compatibility queustion

I need to add "more than two' internal SATA _ports_ to a box that will be running FreeBSD 9.

When I look at inexpensive SATA controllers, they all seem to be using chipsets thar are _not_ explicitly mentioned in the 'supported hardware'
list.

Can anyone say, authoritatively, that, say, a 'SiL3114'-based cnntroller card will work in FreeBSD, as far as 'bare drive' functionality goes?

Alternatively, can anybody recommend an inexpensive 4-port (or more) SATA controller card that is known to work with FreeBSD?