harware compatibility queustion

Robert Bonomi bonomi at mail.r-bonomi.com
Fri Aug 24 02:30:07 UTC 2012

I need to add "more than two' internal SATA _ports_ to a box that will be
running FreeBSD 9.

When I look at inexpensive SATA controllers, they all seem to be using
chipsets thar are _not_ explicitly mentioned in the 'supported hardware'
list.

Can anyone say, authoritatively, that, say, a 'SiL3114'-based cnntroller
card will work in FreeBSD, as far as 'bare drive' functionality goes?

Alternatively, can anybody recommend an inexpensive 4-port (or more)
SATA controller card that is known to work with FreeBSD?